Christchurch is the Chapel-of-Ease for the Parish of Brent Tor. Unlike the main Parish Church, the much smaller St Michael's, Christchurch is located in the centre of the village.History Design and Fittings The Present, and Future Plans
A small chapel-of-ease was built in the village in 1825, but this has entirely been replaced by the modern Christchurch, started in 1856 and paid for by a bequest in the will of Isabella Holwell, the late inhabitant of Bonnaford.
The church cost £1003, and was consecrated by Bishop Phillpotts on 24th September 1857.
Significant restoration and refurbishment work was undertaken in the years 1931-36 (including installation of electric light); further work was done in 1947 when the walls were stripped of their plaster and repointed.
Although Brentor and North Brentor were finally joined into a single parish in 1880, the legal parish church is St Michael's - and Christchurch wasn't even licensed for weddings until 1949!
Christchurch is in the perpendicular style, with chancel, nave and embattled west tower.
The altar piece portraying the Virgin and the Child Christ, with the Magi and Shepherds in side panels, was painted by Christopher Webb. The tapestry kneelers were designed by Lysbeth Gallup and locally worked.
At the rear of the church is a modestly sized organ, on either side of which are truncated pews, and behind which is the access to the tower.
Christchurch is used year round for worship, with Holy Communion usually on the first and third Sundays of the month, Prayer and Praise (a less formal, music oriented service) on the sevond Sunday, a family service on the fourth, and Morning Prayer on the fifth Sunday. All services are famous for the after-service cake and biscuits, known locally as the "Ministry of Cakes"!
In the Spring of 2015, Brent Tor parish left the Benefice of Mary Tavy, Peter Tavy and Brentor, and was incorporated into a new benefice along with Tavistock and Gulworthy, to reflect the fact that we have been working increasingly closely with these parishes for some years.
In the future, we are looking at reorderig the West End of the nave to allow for additional community facilities.