Designed by the well-known architect George Pace, St. Saviour's was built to an unusual but practical plan in brick and reinforced concrete. Opened in 1966, it replaced a small chapel nearby which had served the congregation since 1883.
Although only about 45 years old, St. Saviour's incorporates early victorian pews from St. John's in Little Horton. St. John's also kindly provided a striking Byzantine-style mosaic depicting Jesus' meeting with Cleopas and his companion on the road to Emmaus.
In November 2007, the building was Listed Grade 2 by English Heritage. The interior is pictured in Pevsner's The Buildings of England: Yorkshire West Riding (Yale University Press 2009)