Seaborough: St John
The present church was enlarged, re-roofed and re-seated in 1882 when the chancel was added to a design by Crickmay of Weymouth. The Transept, built in 1729, stands on 16th century foundations. The segment on the North window-sill of the Transept is the head of a small column with typical 12th century chevron mouldings which was later converted for use as a piscina with drain. This would almost certainly have been the piscina used in the church from 1415 until the 1882 enlargement when a new one was taken into use. The entire building was re-roofed last in 1988; the Bell-cot being strengthened and repaired at the same time.
St John Seaborough is part of the Beaminster Area Team Ministry which covers 50 square miles of beautiful rural West Dorset. The team consists of 14 individual parishes plus the chapel in the grounds of Mapperton House. Our worship shows a wonderful variety of styles ranging from services from the Book of Common Prayer to the child-centred Messy Church, with music a vital part of our activities.
You can find more information about our services, events, activities, and contact details via our website: beaminsterteamchurches.org