The Church located at SP3 6PX is open each weekend day from 1000 to 1700 in summer and to 1600 in winter, Services are Holy Communion at 0800 on the first and third Sundays and Morning Service at 11:15 on the second and fourth Sundays. On fifth Sundays when these occur we have a group service in one of the local churches normally at 1030. However on these days Holy Trinity will be open as usual. During the week you can apply to one of the churchwardens to open the church, contact details are posted on the notice board by the front gate.
Holy Trinity Church is on the road between Tisbury and Hindon, conveniently situated next to the Beckford Arms (SP3 6PX). Built in 1866 by the second Marquis of Westminster, it replaced an older church of Saint Nicholas on the same site built by William Beckford, Lord Mayor of London, purchaser in 1747 of the Fonthill estate and father of the builder of Fonthill Abbey.
This present church is described as “a remarkably complete example of an estate church of the High Victorian period, with all its furnishings and one of Wyatt’s best churches”. With such a patron as the Marquis of Westminster there was clearly no shortage of funds for its construction and decoration, and this was manifested in the interior design and the rich stone carving of the chancel arch. The pulpit and font were given by Alfred Morrison.
The church is currently in full use and part of the Nadder Valley Benefice under the care of the Team Rector resident in Fovant. There is a service every Sunday, alternating between an early Holy Communion at 8 a.m. and a service of Morning Prayer (Mattins) at 11.15. Details are on the church gate and in the local magazine “Focus”. All our services are from the Book of Common Prayer.
The church is always open on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. At other times the church can be opened on request to the Churchwarden whose telephone number is shown by the church door.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below