The ecclesiastical parish of Chicklade and Pertwood was joined to Hindon in 1974. Chicklade is a hamlet to the north of Hindon, paired with an even smaller estate village, Pertwood. Chicklade’s population is between sixty and seventy, Pertwood’s is less than twenty.
All Saints Church, Chicklade, is small. The ancient church was rebuilt in 1832, then refurbished in 1893. We have two services a month, Evensong and 11.15 am Parish Communion, mostly using the BCP and the Authorized Version. We hold an outdoor service on a farm on Rogation Sunday. St Peter’s Church in Pertwood was deconsecrated long ago. However, the owners (a Roman Catholic family) lovingly restored the building, and we have a special service for St Peter’s Day followed by tea in the garden, a highlight of the summer calendar.
The church has a very active ‘Friends’ group who support the church building, though most don’t attend regularly. The Friends organize many fund-raising events, which provide a lively social calendar.
Chicklade lost its school and other amenities over a century ago. It never had public transport. What it has retained is its church. The church is at the centre of the community, where it should be, and that is where we want to keep it.
Our hope for the future is to grow our congregation, so that the church in Chicklade is a strong (if small) witness, and that in doing this we can contribute far more to the worship of God and the work of the church in the Nadder Valley Benefice.