Church of England Diocese of Salisbury Stratton

Opening

We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information

(01305) 251422

(01305) 259083

Getting here

A BRIEF HISTORY OF ST. MARY'S CHURCH, STRATTON


The original Norman church was built in about 1140.
It was of the type common in villages of the period, a long narrow building with a roof of thatch or shingles of wood.

Of the 13th Century Early English church, which succeeded the Norman building, the Porch, the Chancel Arch (now behind the organ), the Hagioscope (Squint) and the Font remain. The Squint is now filled in.

The Tower is 14th Century and houses five bells.

Early in the 15th Century the present flamboyant windows were inserted into the south wall. In the heads of the windows are fragments of old painted glass � the Sacred Monogram and the Monogram of St. Mary the Virgin. Another window features the Tudor Rose of Henry VII.

The removal of plaster from the walls disclosed paintings of different dates in every part of the church. In the gable at the east end above the ceiling was discovered the Coat of Arms of Charles I with the motto "�Feare God, Honour thy King' painted above it.

The enclosed wooden staircase leading to the clock and bell chambers is thought to be unique, dating from the Tudor period.

It is recorded that before the dissolution of the Monasteries during Henry VIII's reign, the Monks from Cerne Abbas would preach at the ancient Stone Cross, the remains of which are within the churchyard.

The church was largely rebuilt in 1890-1891 under the leadership of the Rev. J. C. Prior, Vicar of Charminster.
At that time, St. Mary's, Stratton was a chapel dependent on Charminster.

St. Mary's, Stratton was joined with Bradford Peverell in 1931 and with Frampton and Sydling St. Nicholas in 1977.

The Registers of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials date from 1561 and are held at the Dorset History Centre in Dorchester.

 

Dorchester Road
Stratton
Dorchester
DT2 9RU

If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below