St. Mary's Parish contains farm land, open spaces and woodland as well as a modern shopping centre and many large retail outlets and a large bakery.
The church is now in a quiet cul de sac alongside the River Cray with an ancient churchyard, a quiet retreat in contrast to the busy roads around it.The Church dates back to about 1251 and next door is the old Mary Rose Hotel. There are other buildings which date back a long way which is why it is a conservation area.
But the church is not something of the past but a worshipping community. We have a Church primary School St. Pauls' but there are three other Schools in the Parish. The church is popular for weddings and Baptisms, as well as being used for funerals including those for the local Gypsy/traveller community.
The Parish boundaries were modified in early 2009
and the area known as Poverest is now in the Parish of St. Andrew's Orpington, so St. Mary with St.Paulinus is only on the East side of the Main Cray Avenue/Sevenoaks way.
We have a good peal of six Bells and always welcome new ringers. The best way to find out more about the church is of course to visit , and though the church is not usually open during the week you are always welcome to phone and make an arrangement . Or just turn up at 11am on a Sunday Morning. We have a Vision for the future with involves being involved more in the community and making our building open to all and we welcome those whose faith is firm and those who are simply seeking - either faith, fellowship, comfort or simply somewhere which has provided space, healing and pray for over 750 years.