St Margaret of Antioch, Toxteth
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
Welcome to St Margaret of Antioch, Toxteth.
We are a lively and rapidly growing church in the liberal catholic tradion. St Margaret's is the church of the universities Anglican chaplaincy, and during the university term provides an additional Sunday Evening service, oftern sung, to which all are welcome. There is an opportunity for fellowship at the end of all our services.
The church was built in 1868–69 and designed by G. E. Street. It was paid for by Robert Horsfall, a local stockbroker and Anglo-Catholic. The church became "the centre of Anglo-Catholicism in 19th-century Liverpool". In 1924–26 the Jesus Chapel, designed by Hubert B. Adderley, was added to the north of the church. The architectural style of the church is Decorated neo Gothic.
St Margaret's is constructed in brick, with dressings in red brick and stone, and has a slate roof. Its plan consists of a nave and chancel, the nave being flanked by aisles. On the roof, at the division of the nave and chancel, is a timber bellcote. In the central part of the west end of the church are two three-light windows, with a buttress between them and on each side. Above the central buttress is a canopied niche containing a statue of St Margaret of Antioch. Over this is a rose window. To the sides of the central part are the aisles under lean-to roofs; each has a doorway with a rose window above. A passage leads from the north side of the church to the vicarage.
Inside the church are six-bay arcades carried on marble piers with bands of alternating colours. The chancel is at a higher level, and is separated from the nave by a low marble wall with central iron gates. In the chancel are a piscina and a sedilia. On the north side of the chancel is a two-bay arcade leading to the Jesus Chapel. The font is circular, carried on six columns, and stands on a hexagonal base. The pulpit is in gilded wood, and is decorated with busts of five saints, including St Margaret and Saint Jerome. In the chancel floor is a brass memorial to Robert Horsfall. There is much painted decoration on the walls, most of it by Maddox and Pearce. Much of the stained glass is by Clayton and Bell. The glass in the west window of the south aisle is by Percy Bacon Brothers. At the east end of the church are two windows, replaced after the Second World War, which were designed by Gerald E. R. Smith and H. L. Pawle, and made in the A. K. Nicholson Studio. In the Jesus chapel is an ornate polychrome reredos. The two-manual pipe organ was made in 1869 by Henry Willis, which retains its original structure, layout, and registration.
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
- Regular Services