This is one of the most beautiful examples of a Victorian church in the county of Norfolk. The church was built in 1859 on the site of a small Saxon, or early Norman church, which had fallen into disrepair. It was paid for by George Henry Christie (of the famous London Auction House family) who had become the village squire on his marriage to Frances Taylor, who had inherited the estates of Framingham Pigot from her father.
According to Nikolaus Pevsner, the architect of the new church was Robert Kerr, although it has been understood that Thomas Lloyd may have been the architect and was most probably the stonemason. The initials 'TL' are to be found carved in the stone screen above the small chapel inside the church.
There is a wealth of stone carving both inside and outside the church and an elegant and unusual stone tower. The interior of the church has traditional oak pews with beautiful carvings of fruit, foliage and flowers. The many stained glass windows are typical of the Victorian era and some are dedicated to the memory of members of the Christie family, a resident of the village and the young son of a Rector of the church.
The organ is something of a rarity and was made especially for the church by George Maidwell Holdich in 1859.
Following restoration, the 3 Bells, dated 1737 & 1859, were rung for the first time in over 50 years at a wedding in July 2015.
The village of Framingham Pigot is still mainly privately owned, and has a timeless quality about it, and the church of St Andrew sits comfortably in these lovely rural surroundings.
Because of it's pretty architecture and romantic setting, St Andrew's church is popular for Wedding Ceremonies and has an experienced team on hand to advise on all aspects of the marriage service. The award winning Brasted's Restaurant is nearby to provide the Wedding Reception and so complete that special day in Framingham Pigot.
The exterior of the church has been filmed, in 2016, for inclusion in the film Bridget Jones's Baby. A brief piece of aerial footage can be seen, near the end of the film, and also on youtube.com in the official trailer No. 2.
There is a 5 Alive monthly newsletter for the Thurton Benefice, and a bi-monthly newspaper, Eleven Says, for the Bramerton Group. Copies of both publications are free and are available in the church. The latest copy of the 5 Alive can be found on this website.
The church is open to visitors daily, during daylight hours. The Rector, Revd Chris Ellis, and the Parish Team, offer a very warm welcome to all who wish to join them in worship in this beautiful and well loved church.