According to the Doomsday Book of 1086 there was a church in Baconsthorpe attached to one of the Lordships which belonged to Robert Grenon that was endowed with 30 acres of land, 80 sheep and 40 goats. The earliest parts of the present church date from the 13th century and stand on Saxon foundations. Two of the arcades in the nave nearest the chancel are of the decorated style used between 1290-1350.

The Church dates from the 14th century and is a large building of flint and freestone. White flints have been knapped and squared and laid in courses, these are intended to reflect the early morning and late evening sunshine which will catch the eye from a distance.

Visitors greatly appreciate the Easter Sepulchre and the memorial to the Heydon’s who built Baconsthorpe Castle. In 2013 we completed a large restoration programme at a cost of £107,000. Even with grant aid from English Heritage and several others this means the Fabric Fund is much depleted. 

The church was rewired, improved lighting and under-pew heating installed. The chancel roof was repaired, stonework patched and the vestry roof rebuilt and insulated. The organ is well maintained, greatly enhancing services. We have an organist for Matins and special occasions. The eight tubular bells erected in 1892 are used regularly. 

The church is always open.