Facilities and features


In the Churchroom, which is open during services.

In the Churchroom, which is open during services.

Car Park / Parking Available

In the Churchroom, which is open during services.

Ramped entrance
Hearing (induction) Loop
Large Print

Our Building

Open for individual prayer

The church is dedicated to St Gregory the Great (540-604) , who was Bishop of Rome from 590. The story is that he was in the market place in Rome when he saw some young blond children for sale as slaves. He asked who they were and on being told they were Angles his reply was "Not Angles but Angels", and arranged for St Augustine to come to Britain (where the Angles came from) to bring the Gospel to this country
The church was built c1480 but there were previous buildings on the site. Longish chancels were the fashion then, and you can see the staircase that led to a presumably massive rood screen, bearing a huge crucifix probably with the figures of Mary and St John. These were done away with at the Reformation when the stone altar was replaced by wooden Communion table.
The building was restored in 1846—8 (roof, extra aisle added, vestry) and again in 1901 (Chancel arrangements, much stonework and window glass. There are three tiny pieces of early glass (1480—1500) in the side aisle).

For further information please go to our Parish website click Crook Peak Parish website. > Weare

Music and Worship

Bell Ringing
Worship band

Groups, Courses and Activities

Help for Visitors

Guidebooks / Notes
Church Open

Other Features

The Churchroom seats 50. Ring 01934 732239