Building and Features
We have parking . a toilet and kitchen. We are wheel chair accessible and have an audio loop. We are also well behaved dog friendly (no howling during hymns, please). Receptions after weddings and funerals, if desired, can be arranged with West Pennard Village Hall located at Newtown Ln, West Pennard, Glastonbury BA6 8RT.
The church consists of a chancel, cleresteried nave, aisles, south porch, and west tower with a short timber spire. The fabric is of a late medieval date but is likely to have been built in several stages. The north arcade of four bays is quite regular. By contrast, the south arcade is irregular; the easternmost arch being much wider than northern arches. This positioning suggests that there may have been a transceptal chapel before the aisle was added. The three remaining arches vary greatly in span suggesting that the design might have been occasioned by necessary adjustments. The original tower may have been higher but due to decay was shortened by necessity The rood screen has largely survived from the 16th century.
Stained Glass Windows
The church has an outstanding collection of stained glass windows dating from the early Victorian Era. Having a vicar who married a French glass manufacturer's daughter probably helped.
The churches registers begin in 1538 which was the first year they were required to be kept. The current registers date from 1874 for baptisms and 1859 for burials. Please call Church Warden to access current registers at 01458 831133. Older registers are with the Somerset Records Office in Taunton. However, online services will provide the same details more conveniently.
Please visit our wikipedia page for a more complete description of the church and pictures of the building and its features.