It is thought that the foundations of this church date from 1042. The church was granted to the Abbot of West Langdon in 1172 and the first vicar was appointed in 1499. In 1537 the church was given to the Archbishop of Canterbury; 6 years later came the plague epidemic, which lasted, although less severely, for the next 3 years. This church has many lovely old features, and generally felt ancient, which may be due to the bare décor and few adaptions.
Parish Church. C12 origin, now largely C13, restored 1866, 1868-9 and 1899. Flint with plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave with west tower and south porch. Single stage tower, the top stage removed after C16 earth-quake damage, with clasping buttresses and brick eaves cornice to low tiled spire, and blocked belfry windows. Small single lights on ground floor with trefoil heads carved from single block, C13 south porch with chamfered outer door and roll moulded inner doorway with attached shafts, and medieval ogee-shaped door. Chancel stepped in from nave, with corner buttresses to nave and chancel. East wall rebuilt Cl9.
Lancets throughout. Interior: C19 chamfered doorway to tower. Blocked stop-chamfered north doorway, tall and narrow. Two chamfered. elliptical
recesses in north wall, the easternmost with a low window inset, and 2 on south wall, with crude enrichment of figures, flower ornament, attached shafts and cusping; utilised or intended as tomb recesses for the Monyns family. Blocked and truncated semi-circular arch in extreme south east of nave with small round-headed lancet on east wall C19 trussed rafter roof. Chancel arch of 1866, and C19 chancel roof. Two hollow chamfered elliptical recesses on south wall, integral with double sedilia. Simple trefoiled piscina in chancel. Fittings all C19.
PLEASE NOTE: We started an interregnum at the beginning of August 2017, and some Sundays may find us having a joint service with St Peter and St Paul in Temple Ewell. For details on servies please contact Liz Thomas-Friend (Church Warden).
Parish of: Temple Ewell with Lydden
This Parochial Church Council has adopted the safeguarding policies and procedures of the Church of England. In particular we are committed to:
• the safeguarding of all children, young people and vulnerable adults
• carefully selecting and training paid and voluntary staff who might come into contact with children or vulnerable adults, using the Disclosure and Barring Service amongst other tools, to check their suitability
• responding without delay to every complaint made which suggests that an adult, child or young person may have been harmed
• cooperating fully with the police, local authority and any other appropriate statutory body in any investigation
• ministering appropriately to anyone, child or adult, who has experienced abuse
• extending pastoral care to those known to have offended against children or vulnerable adults whilst ensuring that children and vulnerable adults are protected from them
We have appointed : Alison Worton Tel: 01304 824152 as the Parish Safeguarding Officer for adults and children.
She is available to speak with adults or children.