Adrian was born in Bury St Edmunds in 1938, the only child of Stanley and Mabel. After leaving Culford School he studied architecture at Brighton College of Art. He met Pamela through their joint love of music, and they married in 1964, moving to a 15th century house in Lavenham which they renovated and extended as their three children Catriona, Angus and Piers arrived. He became very active in village life, notably through the church and his promotion of classical music, organising a series of concerts in Lavenham and the surrounding area during the 1970s. He also became a well-known local architect, specialising in buildings which mirrored the Suffolk vernacular.
As the family grew up and moved away, Adrian and Pam moved to a new house he designed 2 doors away.
In 2000, Piers’ wife, Rachel, spotted an advert on the back of The Herald for a barn with planning permission in Murton. Piers faxed it to Adrian and Pam and within 24 hours, on the back of nothing more than a few photos, they had put an offer in. For the third time, Adrian designed his own home and, while renting a bungalow at Langton Beck, both he and Pam helped with the construction. They moved in in Spring 2001.
They loved living in the north, in Cumbria and especially in Murton, with its unspoiled character, spectacular views and close-knit community. They felt immediately at home and embraced the special charm of the Appleby area. Adrian valued his role at St Lawrence’s and the friends he made there. He always looked forward to the coffee and craic mornings and the soup and pudding lunches. He loved his garden and seeing his grandchildren: Eleanor, Georgia, Elliot, Emily, Isabel and Sam, play in it over the years.
Like Pam, he never wanted to leave Gastle Barn. He got his wish. He is greatly missed.