As a place of worship, St Peter’s dates back at least to Norman times, with some evidence of a Saxon precursor. A charter of c.1200, witnessed by Adam, Dean of Westmorland, who was then Vicar of Asby, refers to “the church of the blessed St. Peter at Asby” in relation to the use of incense on Easter Day. The Pembroke Lock in the custody of the Church (one of three in the Diocese) was given by Anne, Countess of Pembroke, to the Rector in 1670 in return for shelter taken during a storm whilst she was journeying from Appleby to Pendragon Castle.
The Church was almost completely rebuilt in 1864/65, at the personal expense of the then patron. Both the Church and the Lych-Gate are listed - see Pevsner for details.