Church of England Diocese of Carlisle Asby

Opening

The Church is normally open during daylight hours

Getting here

As a place of worship, St Peter’s dates back at least to Norman times, with some evidence of a Saxon precursor. A charter of c.1200, witnessed by Adam, Dean of Westmorland, who was then Vicar of Asby, refers to “the church of the blessed St. Peter at Asby” in relation to the use of incense on Easter Day. The Pembroke Lock in the custody of the Church (one of three in the Diocese) was given by Anne, Countess of Pembroke, to the Rector in 1670 in return for shelter taken during a storm whilst she was journeying from Appleby to Pendragon Castle.

The Church was almost completely rebuilt in 1864/65, at the personal expense of the then patron.  Both the Church and the Lych-Gate are listed - see Pevsner for details.

in the centre of the village
Great Asby
Appleby-in-Westmorland
CA16 6HD

If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below