re the CORONA VIRUS
ALL MEETINGS ARE CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
There will be a limited number of services starting on Sunday 12th July - see the notices and calendar of this site for details.
Unfortunately the Church is closed except for services as we cannot fulfill the covid secure regulations outside the times of the services.
For funerals or other emergencies contact the vicar the Revd. John Riley on 01946 725499
e-mail to [email protected]
All are welcome at any of our services or events.
Our Mission is:- "To know Christ better through worship, prayer, fellowship and discipleship.
To make Christ better known through caring service and sharing the good news of the gospel."
From 1st November 2017 - the Parish will be Gosforth and Wasdale in the Benefice of Seatallan in the Deanery of Calder and the Archdeaconery of West Cumberland. This parish will have 3 parish churches - St Mary's Gosforth, St Michael and All Angels Nether Wasdale and St Olaf's Wasdale Head.
This part of the website is about St Mary's Gosforth
St Mary's is a typical village church with several different styles of service. Our main Sunday service is Parish Communion at 10am except on the first Sunday of the month when there is Morning Praise or Family Service at 10am which is usually led by a team of lay people. There is a Holy Communion (BCP) service that day at Nether Wasdale another of our parish churches. Please see the services and events section for details of what is happening in the next month or so.
We are part of the South Calder Mission Community which is in the early stages of development. It aims to be Christ's people serving God together and growing his kingdom in this beautiful part of Cumbria by aiding the worshipping Christian Communities to work together and share resources in order to bring God to all people living in this area. .
There has been a church building on this site since around 700 AD. In around 1100 AD a stone Norman church replaced the building then on the site and there have been changes since. There were two rebuilds in Victorian times and the current building dates from 1896 - 97. In 1995 St Mary's Room was built onto the North of the church and this provides us with a meeting room for Christian Fellowship after services, social events and courses such as the Lent course. The room has modern audio visual equipment and adjoining kitchen & toilets.
The history of the site means that there are a few Norman artefacts inside the building, together with two exceptional Viking hogback tombs and the "Fishing Stone" which has both Viking and Christian symbolism. The most famous Anglo- Danish monument is the Grade 1 listed "Gosforth Cross" which shows integration of Viking myth and Christian beliefs. As a result we have visitors from all over the world.