St Mary the Virgin is the Parish Church of the village of Eccleston, which is situated on the outskirts of Chester. The village is part of the Duke of Westminster’s Eaton Estate, and the Duke is the Patron of the Living. St Mary’s Church was built by the 1st Duke, being consecrated in 1900. The architect was the famous Victorian church architect, G.F. Bodley.
A ruined wall of the former church stands in the old churchyard, to the right of the present building. The churchyard contains the memorials to many of the members of the Grosvenor family.
This church building serves the village of Eccleston, which has a population of around 220. About half the regular Sunday congregation come from the village - and the other half from all over the Chester area. We enjoy the mix! We try to be an open and inclusive community, aware of the big city nearby, and extending a warm village welcome to everyone. We enjoy music and have a large Choir.
We share our Rector and Readers and our ministry with our sister Church of St Mary, Pulford. We have a thriving All Age and Messy Church Community and a Church School
Come and see us soon !