The church dates from c. 1717 and was built by Thomas Eyre, who owned the Rowtor Estate. It was rebuilt in 1864, and expanded with the addition of the chancel. The church is unusual in that there are windows only on two sides, the south and east. The east window was fitted with stained glass in 1898 and made by Alfred D. Hemming of London, and the chancel floor was renovated by the Ashford Marble Works. ] The windows to the south side have stained glass designed by the painter Brian Clarke in 1977. The artworks, comprising three two-light windows, were fabricated for the church and donated to it by the artist, who had lived in Rowtor Hall, the vicarage, between 1975 and 1977.