Dethick church is a wonderfully secluded place of prayer and stillness. A fine example of early English architecture, its outward appearance is well preserved and unaltered except for additions made in 1532. The church is set in beautiful countryside a good walk from the villages of Lea and Holloway. A footpath goes through the churchyard and brings a lot of visitors who obtain the key from the dairy at Manor Farm.
Built in the early 13th century as a private chapel to Dethick Manor. The original building was a simple rectangular shape constructed in the early English style, typified by the small lancet windows. Sir Anthony Babington in 1530 to 1532 enlarged the chapel to its present size. The height of the original building was raised, incorporating the clerestory windows beneath a much flatter roof. The windows are rather unusual in such a small building without internal side naves. In addition a tower was added at the west end. Sir Anthony Babington was sentenced to death for his part in the plot to free Mary Queen of Scots.
In 1899, because of the growing population, Dethick, Lea and Holloway was made a separate parish, and Dethick chapel became the parish church. In 1903, Christ Church, Holloway was built nearer to the centre of population, but Dethick church remains the parish church. Matins and Holy Communion are held here on the first Sunday of each month at 11am and there are additional services at Christmas, Easter and Rogation. More regular services are held at Holloway.
Please note the church is up a lane and along a track in the country. Park on the side of the main road. The driveway belongs to Church Farm, and the church has a right of way but no right of parking unless by permit.