St Cuthbert's stands overlooking the Dove Valley, witness to some 900 years of Christianity in the village of Doveridge. The building does not date from any one period of time but is a conglomeration of architectural styles and changing fashion in decoration and furnishing.
The Christian influence has been active in the area since 653 AD when Paeda established his monastery at Repton and a church may well have occupied the site overlooking the River Dove for several centuries before the Norman Conquest. The earliest mention of the church is to be found in the Doomsday Book of 1086 which records the building as being 42 foot long by 21 feet wide. It was added to during the Norman period though little trace remains. The tower was refaced with a lift of 15 feet in 1225 AD. The chancel was also added and its lancet windows are thought to be the best work of the period to be found in the county.
In the grounds of the church can be found an ancient yew tree of huge proportion whose age is estimated to be at least one thousand years and probably more. It may well have been planted when the first church was built in Doveridge. There is also a stone cross which is a combination of old and new.
The dedication of the parish church to St Cuthbert is unique in Derbyshire and probably reflects a long-abandoned devotion to the cult of this Northumbrian saint possibly also focussed on a sacred well known until the nineteenth century as St Cuthbert’s Well. Francis Redfern (1886) locates it ‘in a grove of trees enclosed by a slightly raised circular vallum of earth with an outer ditch on the side of the hill betwixt Doveridge Hall and Church, and almost overlooking the mill house.’ The site of the well was in the park belonging to Doveridge Hall which was demolished in 1938. It was approximately half way between St. Cuthbert's Church and the River Dove. Redfern further states that the ‘well was channelled away and when the drain was being made some stones were found which had the appearance of having been steps’.