Church of England Diocese of Derby Marston Montgomery

About Us

Parish church. C12 with C13 and C18 alterations, restored and extended 1875-6 by

H St Aubyn. Coursed squared and rubble sandstone with slate chancel roof and plain

tile nave roof, with stone coped eastern gables, topped by ridge crosses, and bellcote

over west end of nave. Nave, north aisle and vestry, south porch and lower chancel. West

elevation, mainly C12 with blocked central doorcase, now with limestone slab to base,

inscribed 'Here lyeth the body of John son of Walter Copestake and Susanna his wife,

who departed this life the 21st day of July.Anno Domd 1687 his age 11'. To either

side stepped buttresses and to north c1875 aisle with chamfered lancet. Above the

doorcase is a C12 semi-circular headed single light window, and above again, a clockface

dated 1870. Corbelled out above is the square, tile hung bellcote with four pointed

timber louvred openings to top,on all sides, capped by a pyramidal slate roof. North

elevation has a long catslide roof over the aisle, which has three chamfered lancets

to north and similar window to east end. Similar lancet beyond to east,in the chancel

with a C12 single light window beyond. Gabled C19 vestry to east with Y-tracery

pointed window to north with hoodmould and Caernarvon headed door to east. Much

restored C13 3-light intersecting tracery east window with hoodmould. South chancel

elevation has two chamfered lancets, that to east early C13, with large stepped

buttresses to east and between. To west is a blocked C12 semi-circular headed door-

case with raised impost blocks and hood. The nave has a large stepped buttress to east

with two inscribed stones, one reading 'CARTER CW 1698' and the other 'CHAMBERLAIN CW,

W BECK 1877', To west is a C13 3-light intersecting tracery window in recessed

surround, and beyond to west is the south porch with chamfered pointed doorcase. C19

lancet and stepped buttress beyond to west. C12 inner south door with incised cross

in tympanum. Interior has three bay Cl3 north arcade with double chamfered pointed

arches, simple moulded capitals and circular columns, responds to either end cut away

to form corbels. Stepped semi-circular C12 chancel arch on C19 jambs and to north of

chancel a C19 pointed arch through to organ bay. Beyond to east, a cavetto moulded

C19 pointed vestry door with hoodmould. C19 scissor truss roof to chancel and fine

crown post roof to nave with clock platform to west end. C19 pews, choir stalls,

pulpit and carved wooden altar rails. C12 circular stone font. Various C19 and C20

wall memorials in brass or encaustic tiles. C19 east window,and similar chancel

windows of St Chad and St Giles, Early C20 stained glass by A Moore to south side of

nave and a series of early C20 stained glass windows depicting the evangelists to

north aisle.