Related Churches within the area and contact information from external sources such as Crockfords can be found below.
St John, Alkmonton
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, DOVERIDGE
St Cuthbert’s stands overlooking the Dove Valley, witness to some 900 years of Christianity in the village of Doveridge. The building does not date from any one period of time but is a conglomeration of architectural styles and changing fashion in decoration and furnishing.
The Christian influence has been active in the area since 653 AD when PAEDA established his monastery at Repton and a church may well have occupied the site overlooking the River Dove for several centuries before the Norman Conquest. The earliest mention of the church is to be found in the Doomsday Book of 1086 which records the building as being 42 foot long by 21 feet wide. It was added to during the Norman period though little trace remains of the construction except for the apse, buttresses and a carved wall plate. The tower was refaced with a lift of 15 feet in 1225 AD. The chancel was also added and it’s lancet windows are thought to be the best work of the period to be found in the county. Changes continued to be wrought particularly during the Fourteenth Century where severe alterations were made which are thought to have detracted from the beauty of the church and it’s architectural balance.
Many of the fine objects possessed by the church were disposed of during the reign of Henry VIII but some still remain including a large Deed Chest fitted with three locks requiring three different keys to open it. These were held by the vicar and two church wardens. The oldest plate is a beautiful silver chalice and paten inscribed ‘Doverydge 1619’. Three hatchments hang on the north wall of the Chancel depicting the coats of arms of the Cavendish family and date from between the sixteenth and eighteenth century.
In the grounds of the church can be found an ancient yew tree of huge proportion whose age is estimated to be at least one thousand years and probably more. It may well have been planted when the first church was built in Doveridge. There is also a stone cross which is a combination of old and new. Originally a cross stood on the village green close to the junction of High Street and Pump Lane and may well have originated from 1275 AD. The remains of the shaft were removed from the village centre and incorporated into a new cross which following the end of the First World War was dedicated as a memorial to those from Doveridge who gave their lives in the service of their country.
One other noticeable feature is the clock on the east side of the tower. The present clock dates from 1969 but a clock has been on the tower for a considerable period of time. The wrought iron gates were erected in 1963 in memory of John Martin Brown who was Church Warden for thirty six years.
For those seeking further information a Guide and Brief History is available in the Church and further information is contained in ‘A History of Doveridge’ written by Alan Gibson.
The matter of the Bells is one full of interest, as they all seem to mark some historic or family event.
No. 1. Inscribed:- “John Slater Churchwarden. Edw. Arnold Leicester fecit 1796.” On top of the bell is inscribed “F. Turner.” It was in 1796 that the French under Napoleon attempted the invasion of South Wales, and were speedily driven back; as it was no time for private gifts (Government Stock selling at £50 per cent.) it was probably to mark this deliverance that the bell was provided by the people of the parish.
No. 3. An old bell taken down in 1746 on October 7th, and recast in Uttoxeter for the sum of £12 0s 0d. being returned and re-hung on December 8th 1746. Inscribed:- “H. Wragley made me 1746. Nathaniel Moor, Luke Turner, Churchwardens.” Probably recast in honour of the victory, when Edward the Young Pre-tender in his invasion, had been turned back at Derby, and beaten on April 16th, 1746, at Culloden. This bell was bought 1709. However, the founder is unknown.
No. 4. Inscribed:- “H.W. 1709. W.C. Esq. W. Savage. J. Bladon C.W.” Probably given to celebrate Marlborough’s great victories at Oudenarde and Malplaquet in the wars of the Spanish Succession. The “W.C. Esq.” Probably indicates that William Cavendish was the donor however the founder is unknown.
No. 5. This is undoubtedly a Pre-Reformation bell recast in 1633. Inscribed:- “Som rosa polsata monde Maria vocata, 1633.” Founders’ mark “T.H.” inside a heart. This is a corrupt reading of the old Pre-Reformation inscription – “Sum Rosa Pulsata Mundi Maria Vocata.” Which may be translated – “Rose of the World, I sound your name, around.” The same Latin mistakes are to be found on a bell hanging in the tower at Ibstock; a village in Leicestershire. This bell had probably been out of use for some time, when in 1663, Archbishop Laud made his Visitation and gave instructions “to root out all traces of Puritanism.” As the Puritans were against the use of bells it may be that it was in response to this injunction that the bell was re-cast and put into use again.
St Paul's Parish Church, Scropton (and Foston)
The church of St Paul was rebuilt in 1855-56. It has a prominent tower with a pyramid roof. The old school house also has a tower and was also built in 1856. The church contains 16 memorial headstones supplied by the Imperial War Graves Commission to mark the graves of airmen from overseas who died whilst serving with the RAF Training Squad based at nearby Church Broughton airfield.
It also contains the tomb chest of Nicholas Agard (died 1510) and his 2 wifes. His son Arthur Agard (1540-1615) was an authority on ancient manuscripts and heraldry and a founder member of the Society of Antiquaries. He is buried at Westminster Abbey.
The Parish Church of All Saints', Sudbury
Welcome to All Saint's, Sudbury.
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CUBLEY
Our church of St Andrew is one of the architectural gems of Derbyshire. Along with the Manor House it was mentioned in the Doomsday book in 1086; the remains of the Manor house moat can be seen across the road opposite the church. There is herringbone stone work on the north side of the church which may be Saxon; the church tower dates from the reign of Henry VIII; but there is something to see from almost every period of English history. The Eucharist is celebrated on the original medieval stone altar which was recovered for liturgical use by a former rector. It is of such a size and quality that it was probably fashioned to hold part of the relics of St Andrew.
Our services range from traditional Book of Common Prayer Evensong to Family Service and The Holy Eucharist. On the first Sunday of the month the Eucharist is celebrated in one of the churches of the South Dales Benefice of which we are a part.
The Parish Church of St Peter & St Blaise
St Peter & St Blaise is a peaceful village church in the lower dove valley south of Ashbourne. It is noted for its healing and retreat ministry. Our services are simple but dignified. We use the Common Praise hymnbook but are quite used to Taize and modern worship songs. We seek to be an inclusive community. We operate an 'open altar' policy at all our eucharists - all who love the Lord Jesus are welcome to share his body and blood at Holy Communion. On fifth Sundays we do not hold a service but have an event such as a Parish Breakfast, Harvest Lunch or Supper, Afternoon Tea. Everyone is welcome and our church is open 24/7. We are members of The Small Pilgrim Place movement.
You can find us on Facebook which is kept up to date. We also have a Geocache!
Crockfords contact details
If you've spotted any issues in the Crockfords data, please contact the church by selecting the following link.Report an Issue
If you've spotted any issues in the contact information, please contact the church by selecting the following link.Report an Issue
Most churches are “Excepted Charities” and are therefore not registered with the Charity Commission. You can download a PDF that includes your church name, address and church code. This PDF, which is an extract from the Church of England’s database of churches, can serve as a certificate for churches requiring proof of their charity status when registering for online and card-based giving. Click on the download button below and fill in the short form. You will then be emailed the certificate as a PDF.