We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
St Andrew is the Parish church of Orwell. It is one of the churches in the Orwell Group and serves a rural community of some 1000 people. The Orwell group of parishes work together led by one priest, and events such as 5th and 2nd Sunday rotate around the group while some other services are also shared (eg Healing, All Souls, and the various Easter services etc.). This offers a diversity of approaches and parts of congregations can be found moving around the parishes. Each parish has a Eucharist one Sunday in the month and at least one other service in the morning or the evening.
Currently St Andrew has a Eucharist at 09.30am on the 1st Sunday of the month an All Age service on the 3rd Sunday of the month at 11am and an Evensong on the 4th Sunday at 6pm.
ST ANDREW - ORWELL
Set on a steep rise on the northern edge of the village, the church was mainly built in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries although traces remain of a nave without aisles built c1150. The chancel was rebuilt in 1398 in memory of Sir Simon Burley, Lord of the manor of Orwell and tutor to the youthful Richard II. It was restored in 1883.
The tower was built c1250 followed by the arcades and aisles c1320.
Also of particular note is the memorial in the chancel to a former rector Jeremiah Radcliffe who was part of the team of scholars who translated the Authorised Version of the Bible. There is an interesting sculpture fragment - rediscovered in the late 19th century during restoration and rebuilding - of the crucifixion with St John dated to 1300. The clock was the original Trinity College clock before being given to Orwell in the 18th century.
The East Window is a fine example of work by Leonard Evitts. There is a fine peal of Eight Bells. Practice night is Tuesday.
Services are mainly use Common Worship or are All Age. There is also a BCP evensong and early morning BCP Eucharist once a month. Refreshments are served after the morning and evening services. The church is well heated but access is steeply stepped both up and down into the building.
junction of Fishers Lane, High Street
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below