St Andrew is the Parish church of Wimpole. It is a church in the Orwell Group and serves a rural community of some 300 people but has a regular and large visitor throughput. The Orwell group of parishes work together led by one priest, and events such as 5th and 2nd Sunday rotate around the group while some other services are also shared (eg Healing, All Souls, and the various Easter services etc.). This offers a diversity of approaches and parts of congregations can be found moving around the parishes. Each parish has a Eucharist one Sunday in the month and at least one other service in the moring or the evening.
For more detailed information on what happens in St Andrews, service times and so on please use the Orwell group of parishes website below.
The current church replaces an earlier fourteenth century building that was largely demolished in 1748 as part of the landscaping of Wimpole park. The medieval north chapel, now dedicated to the Chicheley family, the builders of Wimpole Hall, is all that remains of the original structure.
The present building was designed by Henry Flitcroft and was completed in 1749. Notable features are monuments by James “Athenian” Stuart, Peter Sheemakers and Thomas Banks, and in the gallery, stained glass windows by William Price the younger. A rare medieval window depicting the alliances of the Ufford family (who are thought to have owned the manor of Wimple [sic] sometime before the Chicheleys) is to be found in the Chichely chapel.
The Parish Church of St. Andrew, Wimpole stands next to the Grade 1 National Trust Property Wimpole Hall and within the Grade 1 National Trust property of Wimpole Park.
The church is well heated.