Some people have claimed that St Leonard's church in Leverington is one of the finest historic churches in the county. It certainly has a long history, since there was a wooden church here possibly by about 850, after the original Viking invaders converted to Christianity. There seems to be evidence that a stone church had been built by about 1150.
The present building is a 14th century rebuild after a flood destroyed the original church in about 1300. Some of the 13th century stonework remains. In the 15th century the clerestory was added and the tower extended. The spire (modelled on Salisbury Cathedral) was added around 1625.