Church of England Diocese of Gloucester Slad

About Us

Small Country Church in the village made famous by Laurie Lee's "Cider with Rosie" - he now lies in the churchyard and this has become a place of pilgrimage for many admirers of his writings. The Church attracts many visitors and remains the spiritual focus of the village community with regular Sunday worship.

Here the major seasons and festivals of the Church's year are celebrated and the local community meets to mark Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals. In addition special Harvest and Christmas celebrations are often held in the adjacent Woolpack Inn

Visitors are regular and are welcome to share our peace and beauty and participate in our regular worship.
Opened in 1834 as a chapel of ease to Painswick and dedicated to HOLY TRINITY.The Church comprises of a chancel and nave designed by Charles Baker of Painswick. A gallery was added in 1836 but removed in 1869 when a North aisle and porch were added to designs of Benjamin Bucknall. In due course it became a Parish Church in its own right. It not only served the village of Slad but the developing area of Uplands further along the valley towards Stroud. On May 11th 1910 a new Church All Saints Uplands was consecrated and these two sister churches now serve the Parish.

We have a stained glass window installed to commemorate Laurie Lee and a full time display covering the church history and life of Laurie Lee.

We have around one thousand graves in our 4 churchyards and please note that the current churchyard is at the top of the hill behind the church which can be accessed by following a winding footpath starting near the entrance to the church building. We do have fairly comprehensive electronic records of burials and locations and if you have a specific enquiry about a relative then please contact the editor. There is a small administration charge for this service.

Our Church is one of the nine Stroud Parish Churches.