We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
Benefice Mission Statement
"To make known God's love, hope, light and teaching throughout this community"
St George's is a modern church built in Grange Road in the expanding estate of Tuffley. The site was acquired in 1942 and a temporary building was erected. In 1946 a new, but still temporary, building was erected beside the first hall. This was to be the first church, and in 1950 it was extended and the church was dedicated to St. George. In 1956 the foundation stone was laid for a new church hall, which was to be connected to a large new church by a cloister. Eventually, however, plans for a great new church were seen to be unrealistic, so the new building became the church and the old church, with a kitchen and toilets added, became the church hall.
In 1971 the church hall was demolished to make way for the present hall, meeting rooms, servery and toilets. St George's Centre, the name of the new complex, is a very important and widely valued resource for the area.
In 1979-80 the Parish decided that the church needed to be fundamentally reordered, and was changed from a long narrow building to a wide space with the chairs set in a curve, a space in which, hopefully, to provide a more inclusive feeling for members of the congregation. A large part of the west wall was knocked down and a new sanctuary was built, together with a new Lady Chapel. At the same time internal partition walls were demolished to form a much more open area. Now the sun, rising over Robinswood Hill, bathes the congregation in morning light and highlights the magnificent Last Supper Reredos carved by Bryant Fedden. Many of the furnishings for the reordered church were made by members of the Gloucestershire Guild of Craftsmen. The new areas of the church were dedicated in 1981 by the Bishop of Gloucester.
Only this year we have replaced all the wooden chairs in the main body of the church with metal framed upholstered chairs which immediately made the church an even more welcoming place of worship. All this this was funded through church member donations.
A significant number of members of the congregation participate in aspects of the regular Sunday worship, led by the clergy, reader and members of the Local Ministry Team. The church also offers other services, on other days of the week. Members of the PCC, led by the Churchwardens, work hard to raise funds, organise social events and to enhance the church and its surroundings.
As a Millennium project, the Parish raised the money to build a new entrance to St George's Centre, with improved access for the disabled, new toilet facilities, a new Parish office and other improvements.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below