The parish church of St John the Evangelist at Elkstone dates from 1160 and is Grade 1 listed. Ian Ousby’s guidebook states: “Elkstone has the best Norman church in the region.” The PCC has often given consideration to means of outreach and in the July 2015 meeting we decided to turn an unused part of the churchyard into a wildflower meadow and provide a bench seat for visitors.
In June 2016, Mrs Chloe Darling arranged for a bale of hay from Clattinger, the number two Coronation Meadow, to be delivered (http://coronationmeadows.org.uk/meadow/clattinger-farm-oaksey). This bale was strewed across the West end of the churchyard. Meanwhile, about a dozen children assisted Mr Geoff Gait-Carr in making three bug-houses.
A year after strewing a hay bale, the western end of Elkstone churchyard had produced some orchids. Then after two years there was a good variety of native wildflowers. We expect there are owls out hunting at night for mice!