St Peter, Stainby
St Peter's is on the main street in the hamlet of Stainby. It is situated 2 miles west from the A1 road, 1.5 miles east from the Viking Way and the Leicestershire border, and 8 miles south from Grantham.Stainby is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as "Stigandebi
Holy Cross, Great Ponton
The Church of Holy Cross, Great Ponton, was built in the 13th century, and is an example of fine Gothic architecture. At the top of the tower, there is a distinctive gold weather vane. This is a copy of one donated by a 17th century musician, who played his fiddle for the Great Ponton villagers. The congregation maintain a commitment to the Book of Common Prayer, the foundation of Anglican worship, but are looking to introduce more modern liturgy at some services.
From January 2023 Holy Cross became a "festival church". This means that there will only be occasional services at the church. These will include: Harvest Festival, Christmas Carols, and any Wedding, Christening and Funeral services requested by parishioners.
We are part of the Colsterworth Group of Churches. Click here to view services across the group.
St Nicholas, Gunby
The church of St Nicholas is of 15th-century origin, it was rebuilt by Richard Coad in 1869, although the Perpendicular tower remained.The hamlet of Gunby is situated close to the borders with Leicestershire and Rutland, and 9 miles south from Grantham, and 2 miles west from the A1 road.The village name derives from a "farmstead or village of a man called Gunni", from the Old Scandinavian person name, and 'by', a farmstead, village or settlement.
St Guthlac, Little Ponton
Our beautiful medieval church serves the small village of Little Ponton which has the appearance of a tiny, isolated hamlet, although it is the closest of our villages to Grantham. The church provides lively Harvest Festival and Christmas Carol services, which attract many people from the local farms and villages. Our monthly BCP Holy Communion service has a small congregation. The simple, early Norman church has an air of warm homeliness. It has chairs, rather than pews, which provide a flexible space for worship and other events.
St James, Skillington
St James, Skillington is a 13th century building, that contains some 11th century masonry. The church has a wonderful tower, and it's bells are popular with bell ringers from around the country.In 1859-1865, the Rector was a skilled mountaineer, called Charles Hudson. In 1865, he made a successful attempt to climb the Matterhorn. This heroic expedition was made without the benefits of modern equipment, and sadly, Hudson was killed on the descent. The fifth bell, and two stained glass windows, were purchased in memory of him.
The Church serves a rural population of around 400 people, and shares good relations with the Skillington Methodist Chapel. The Church has suffered, like all rural parishes, with a declining congregation. The Church still manages to pull good congregations for key services, at Harvest and Christmas, and it is our hope that more support will ensure the building's future survival and growth.
St Andrew & St Mary, Stoke Rochford with Easton
St. Andrew and St. Mary, Stoke Rochford, is one of the most beautiful Churches in Lincolnshire, and serves both the parishes of Stoke and Easton. The patron of the Church, was originally St Mary, and the village was referred to as South Stoke. The parish of North Stoke was removed in 1843, and the Church was rededicated to St Andrew and St. Mary. The Church is a stones throw away from Stoke Rochford Hall, a hotel and conference centre which was designed by William Burn in 1845. It was here that the plans were laid out for the disastrous Operation Market Garden, in 1944. Every year, members of the 2nd Battalion of the Parachute regiment, meet at our church to celebrate their achievements, and the service men and women that have been wounded or lost.
If you've spotted any issues in the contact information, please contact the church by selecting the following link.Report an Issue
Proof of charity status
Most churches are “Excepted Charities” and are therefore not registered with the Charity Commission. You can download a PDF that includes your church name, address and church code. This PDF, which is an extract from the Church of England’s database of churches, can serve as a certificate for churches requiring proof of their charity status when registering for online and card-based giving. Click on the download button below and fill in the short form. You will then be emailed the certificate as a PDF.