No one can be really sure when a church stood for the first time on the site of St Peter’s in Ropsley. However, architectural styles indicate both Saxon and Norman work. The church is clearly mentioned in William the Conqueror's doomsday survey. This, at the very least, bears witness to Christian worship being practiced here for around a thousand years.
St Peter’s has grown in size and seen the addition of many different architectural styles since the work of those original constructors. The plain English tower was erected in the 13th century with the decorated broach spire being completed in 1320.
In 1483 the south porch was built by Bishop Foxe, a man of Ropsley origins. Village people will be familiar with the Latin inscription over the porch. "Hoc nec vade via, nisi dicas Ave Maria" - "Go not away unless ye pray an Ave Maria".
Rector Anna Sorensen 07793544238 01476586991
Boothby Pagnell Tom Blake Churchwarden 01476585898
Braceby & Humby Colin McGarrigle Churchwarden & Lay Minister 01476585909
Ingoldsby Kate Welbourne Churchwarden 01476585812
Ingoldsby Hilary Gilbert Churchwarden 01476585979
Ingoldsby Diana Burrows Lay Minister 01476585513
Lenton Tony Clayton Churchwarden & Lay Minister 01476585711
Lenton Peter Dobney Churchwarden 01476585766
Old Somerby Len Watson Churchwarden 01476568439
Ropsley Helen Sloss Churchwarden 01476585433
Ropsley Ken Mann Lay Reader 01476585574
Ropsley Ike Ojeh Parish Safeguarding Co-ordinator
Sapperton & Humby Fred Mann Churchwarden & Lay Minister 01476585905