We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
Swinderby All Saints Church is a beautiful and historic building which has stood on this site since Saxon times, approximately 950AD. On the inside of the existing South facing door the church it is possible to see the original Saxon Doorway Arch which may have allowed Knights to enter the church on horseback. Since the first building was erected there have been times of substantial changes.
The 12C tower is probably the earliest section of church as we see it today. The quoins at each corner of the west tower indicate that it was originally freestanding, potentially combining defensive capabilities and Christian worship. During the 12C the nave and chancel were built and then at a slightly later date the North facing wall was replaced by the large pillars now in the centre of the church and a new North Aisle was created.
In the 17th century the chantry chapel at the east end of the north aisle fell down and the stones were used to wall up the connecting arches into the chancel.
In the 18th century seating was put in for the first time and singing galleries were constructed near the tower and to the east end of the northern aisle.
In the 1854 the north aisle was made wider, the nave re-roofed, a new chapel was built to replace the Chantry chapel and a vestry was created.
In 1879 the porch and the rounded apse on the roadside were built. The current pews were installed. A heating system was put in under the Nave. The singing galleries were removed. The tower was restored and 2 new bells commissioned. In 1932 a new boiler was installed behind the vestry.
In 1965 new electric heating was installed.
There are currently plans for a re-ordering to include more comfortable and flexible seating, better heating, a toilet and a kitchen. Alongside this will be redecoration and some restoration of features.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below