St Clement Eastcheap is hidden away in a lane near London Bridge and the Monument. It was home to three small charities, the Amos Trust Watering Can Media and Child Rescue Nepal; and an antiquarian bookshop, Marlborough, Pickering and Chatto. It is now home to IMPRINT Church London.
Thought to be the church featured in the 'oranges and lemons' nursery rhyme, St Clement Eastcheap is the City's smallest Wren church. Probably founded in the late Saxon period, a later medieval church was destroyed by the 1666 Great Fire. At that time the parish was merged with St Martin Orgar, which was mostly demolished after the fire.
The church was refurbished by Butterfield in 1870 who removed the gallery and moved the organ, and again in 1933 by Sir Ninian Comper, who overpainted the reredos with images of St Clement and Martin and moved the organ back again.
Wartime damage was mainly limited to the south aisle and Victorian stained glass windows.
Among the features of the church are a Harris organ of 1695, a pulpit with a finely carved sounding board above, an interesting font cover with carved dove and dole shelves where bread was made available for the poor.
St Clement is in Candlewick Ward and hosts the annual Ward Club service and wardmote.