We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
St Clement is hidden away in a lane near London Bridge and the Monument. It is the home of two small Christian charities, the Amos Trust whose Director, Rev Chris Rose is also the Priest in Charge of St Clement's; and Watering Can Media. A weekday service of reflection called 'Words of Hope' is normally held each Tuesday between 5 - 5.30pm, all are welcome.
On Fridays the Church is open to the public between 11am - 3pm when we have a church watcher here.
Thought to be the church featured in the 'oranges and lemons' nursery rhyme, St Clement Eastcheap is the City's smallest Wren church. Probably founded in the late Saxon period, a later medieval church was destroyed by the 1666 Great Fire. At that time the parish was merged with St Martin Orgar, which was mostly demolished after the fire.
The church was refurbished by Butterfield in 1870, who removed the gallery and moved the organ, and again in 1933 by Sir Ninian Comper, who overpainted the reredos with images of Sts Clement and Martin and moved the organ back again.
Wartime damage was mainly limited to the south aisle and Victorian stained glass windows.
Among the features of the church are a Harris organ of 1695, a pulpit with finely carved sounding board above, an interesting font cover with carved dove and dole shelves where bread was made available for the poor.
St Clement is in Candlewick Ward and hosts the annual Ward Club service and wardmote.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below