The present St Mary’s, the third on this site, was built in 1791 by John Plaw, at the junction of the (english) Harrow Road and the (roman) Edgware Road. It is a very ancient part of London, steeped in history.
The church is a delightful, Georgian, building within its own extensive graveyard and contains fine monuments (by renowned sculptors such as Physick, Derby and Blore) to local luminaries including Nollekens, Roget and Sarah Siddons.
The liturgy on Sundays is a traditional High Mass with three sacred ministers and fine music provided by a voluntary choir.
The reassuring formality of the liturgy provides a sound platform for an exploratory and challenging style of homily.
There is a Sunday School which welcomes children from nursery age.
Baptised Christians of all denominations are invited to receive Holy Communion during the Mass.
After the Mass there is an opportunity to meet other members of the congregation over refreshments in the Assembly Rooms across the churchyard.