Rock is probably named after the rock outcrop on which the village stands, rising to 100m above sea level. The manor of Rock formed part of the Barony of Alnwick and was held in the reign of Henry III by William de Rok. This family appears to have died out after 1288. In the middle of the 14thcentury Rock became the property of Robert de Tuggal, then the estate passed to John de Swinhoe and was held by that family for several generations.
The present village cottages appear to have been built circa 1840 and were designed to lead the eye to the Hall. It is likely the village pond dates from this period and is said to have been a balancing pond to provide water for the Mill pond and village Mill, as well as a formal feature for the Hall. Rock still benefits from the landscape plantings of hardwood trees planted to adorn the great house.
In 1804 ownership of Rock was transferred to Mr Charles Bosanquet, in whose family the estate remains.
The Hall, having ceased to be a 'family seat', enjoyed popular use as a Youth Hostel until closure when it became a school, and is now, once again, used as a family home for members of the Bosanquet family.
The village hall has ceased to be used for village activities and is now the home of Alnwick Model Railway Club.
Rock Chapel was rebuilt in 1805 then restored in 1855 by Salvin then further extended in 1866 by F R Wilson