Parish Safeguarding Policy and Procedures
We have adopted the House of Bishop’s ‘Promoting a Safer Church; Safeguarding Policy Statement’. This is Displayed in our Church and at the bottom of the page it is due for revision and re-adoption in January 2021
If you are worried that a child or vulnerable adult may be suffering from any kind of abuse please contact one of the officers below. Other useful contact details are also listed.
Parish Safeguarding Officers: Churchwardens Lyn Angus 01665 721040 Val Sim 01665721159
Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor Carol Butler
has overall responsibility for the strategic and operational activities of the team and is accountable to Bishop Christine. She has a social work background and can be contacted about any safeguarding concern anyone might have either within or outside the church community.
T: 07825 167 016
<span style="font-size: 1rem;">E: [email protected]</span><span style="font-size: 1rem;">Andrew Grant, Assistant Safeguarding Adviser</span>
Andrew takes lead responsibility for assessing and managing situations involving anyone who might pose a risk to children and/or vulnerable adults. He has a police background and can be contacted about any safeguarding concern anyone might have either within or outside the church community.
T: 07741 633 670
Details of the Diocesan Safeguarding Procedures and links to the Safeguarding Handbook are here https://www.newcastle.anglican.org/safeguarding/
Northumberland County Council Safeguarding Team 01670 536 400.
NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (Calls are free and lines are open 24 hours.) Phone if you are worried about a child.
Childline: 0800 1111 (Calls are free and lines are open 24 hours). Phone if you are child or young person and are worried about anything.
National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (Calls are free and lines are open 24 hours.) Call this number if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (Calls are free and lines are open 24 hours.) Call if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
Action on Elder Abuse: 080 8808 8141. (Calls are free, lines are open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm).
If you are unclear about anything
Please contact the Parish Priest Canon Tony Macpherson [email protected] 07780990354
PROMOTING A SAFER CHURCH
The Parish of St Ebba Beadnell
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting on 15 January 2020
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
• Promoting a safer environment and culture.
• Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
• Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
• Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
• Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
• Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
• Create a safe and caring place for all.
• Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
• Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
• Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
• Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
• Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
• Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
• Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
• Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
• Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
• Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
<span style="font-size: 1rem;">Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.</span>
<span style="font-size: 1rem;">
<span style="font-size: 1rem;">This church appoints Val Sim & Lyn Angus Churchwardens as the Parish Safeguarding Officers</span>
Canon Tony Macpherson
Val Sim & Lyn Angus