The Parish of Seaton Hirst (comprising the parish Churches of St John's and St Andrew's) has adopted the policy 'Promoting a Safer Church' produced by the National Safeguarding Team.
We share a commitment to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture.
- Safer Recruiting and supporting those with responsibility for children, young people or vulnerable adults within the Church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concerns or allegations.
- Caring pastorally for survivors of abuse or other affected people.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse or other affected persons.
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
This Parish, as part of the Diocese of Newcastle, is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults and creating protective and supportive environments where all people, and especially those who may be vulnerable, are able to worship and pursue their faith journey in safety.
We follow the national legal and procedural framework for safeguarding children and adults, and Church of England policy and practice.
Our Primary Safeguarding Officer is Susan Colvine (01670 522 276)
Margaret Robertson assists at St Andrew's (07817 409 165)
The Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor is Carol Butler (07825 167016)
email: [email protected]
For further information or additional support, follow the link to the Diocese of Newcastle Safeguarding page:
• NSPCC for adults concerned about a child - 0808 800 5000
• Childline for children and young people - 0800 1111
• Action on Elder Abuse helpline - 0808 808 8141
• 24-hour National Domestic Violence helpline - 0808 2000 247
• NAPAC offer support and advice to adult survivors of childhood abuse - 08088010331
• Stop It Now preventing child sexual abuse - 0808 1000 900
• Cruse bereavement helpline - 0808 808 1677
• Family Lives support and advice on family issues - 0808 800 222
• MACSAS for people who have been abused by church officers - 0808 801 0340
• Samaritans for people struggling to cope and needing someone to talk to - 116 123