The History of St Andrews

St Andrew's Church was opened and dedicated on June 2nd 1936, by the Bishop of Peterborough, as a mission church and a daughter church to All Hallows Wellingborough. In the early years the church stood in open fields with animals grazing nearby and the services were led by Captain Elmes until the first priest in charge Fr Knight in 1938.

The church building had a dual role. In addition to the church services it was used as a meeting hall for dances and social functions and a doctors surgery. During the war the church was a Wardens Post and rest centre and although well stocked with blankets was never used as such.

The vicarage was built in 1953 and in 1957 the church was modified with the creation of the baptistry; and the church hall was built for group meetings and social functions.

The first funeral was held in 1946, the first registers for baptisms and weddings held here began in 1964, with all earlier occasions registered at All Hallows.

St Andrews celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1986 and its Diamond Jubilee in 1996