We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
St Mary's Church in Morcott is part of the Welland Fosse Benefice, a group of five churches in the Rutland Deanery (within the Diocese of Peterborough). Our Priest-in-Charge is The Very Reverend Christopher Armstrong.
The Rutland village of Morcott is set quietly off the A47, 4 miles east of Uppingham and 8 miles from Stamford.
This Grade 1 Listed Church is at the heart of the village, on a raised 'island' surrounded by stone cottages. It dates back to the early 12th century, and our pride and joy are the carved Norman arches. The north arcade is perhaps the best example of Norman work in the area and dates to 1150; the south aisle dates to around 1190. The tower arch may be even earlier, with fine cable moulding and entwined serpents at the top of the left-hand capital. The 14th century enhancements include the porch and there are some nice Jacobean panels in the pulpit and reading desks. With plain glass in the (mostly) early windows, the church interior is light and welcoming. The Victorian urge to 'improve' means we also have encaustic tiles and pine pews - but they are quite comfortable and the Church is a good place to sit and contemplate.
Outside, the Tower sports various strange features, such as the 'pancake' window shedding light on the first-floor belfry.
The churchyard memorials are for the most part of local stone, with a few attractively carved slate ones. Two benches, hundreds of spring bulbs and 13 yew trees make the churchyard a pleasant picnic spot - particularly for walkers tackling the Rutland Round long distance route.
We try to keep Morcott church open every day for parishioners and visitors alike.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below