History of St Luke's
St Luke's Church, Chiddingstone Causeway was built in 1898 when the local community grew with the development of the cricket bat and ball industry carried on by Duke & Sons in the village, and large congregations justified a proper church to replace the small chapel of St Saviour.
The Hills family, local landowners, commissioned the architect Mr John Bentley, designer of Westminster Roman Catholic Cathedral. The church is well constructed in Bath stone in the late Gothic style with many notable features. These include a beautiful Altar window, the work of the leading Impressionist Wilfred de Glehn RA; a fine oak Communion Table and Communion rails of massive brass with panels of light wrought iron worked underneath; the carved oak-panelled pulpit and lecturn; a wide, raised chancel paved with Portland stone; the Font by Messrs Farmer & Brindley constructed of alabaster, Portland stone, marble and the actual basin of Cippolino marble. The original organ, still in regular use, is by Messrs Norman & Beard, and the spacious barrel-vaulted roof lends itself well to the fine acoustic properties of the building.
The main entrance is in the north-west corner of the building, and consists of a covered porch with a stone seat on both sides. Sculptured on the outside face of the porch is a winged bull - the emblem of St Luke.
The modern stand-alone Parish Room, adjacent to the Church, is available to hire. Click here for further information.
Please click below to download a copy of the Guide to St Luke's.
St Luke's War Memorial
Designed by Professor Abercrombie of Liverpool University, the Chiddingstone Causeway Civic War Memorial is comprised of Portland stone nine feet high mounted on a die. It faces the main road and is contained within the curtilage of the parish church of St Luke.
Spickett and Co of Tonbridge constructed and erected the memorial in time for its unveiling by the former Royal Engineer, and Adjutant-General of the British Expeditionary Force, General Sir George (Henry) Fowke KCB, KCMG (1864-1936). During an impressive service which was attended by a large crowd, the war memorial was dedicated on Sunday 30 July 1922, by the Right Reverend John Harmer, DD (1857-1944), who was, at that time, the Bishop of the Diocese of Rochester.