In 1338 there is a record of a chantry chapel on the present church site and elements of the church date back to the medieval period including the arches between the chancel and the chantry chapel,
Other medieval features include a stone spiral staircase, chancel windows, a carved canopy featuring St. Michael, the chancel piscina, the coat of arms over the porch, two of the bells, and tombstones
In 1549 during the reformation the arches were bricked up and these survived a major fire in 1870
The church was rebuilt in 1872 by the Neville family who owned the estate at the time and the chantry chapel rebuilt and beautified in memory of Rhode Neville
The walls and roof timbers were richly adorned with fine detailed high Victorian paintings, including gilding and applied stars.
The 1997 quinquennial report describes "The decorative murals in the North-East Chapel together with the polychromatic decoration of the ceiling lists and panels is of the highest quality”
Other Victorian heritage features include stained glass windows by Heaton, Butler & Bayne , Kempe and Mary Lowndes
Work has been done investigating the genealogy of the Browne and Neville families and Skelbrooke Hall .
The heritage therefore although focusing on the Victorian element also includes medieval elements and there are proposed heritage trails telling the story of both Robin Hood in the local area and that of Richard Rolle of Hampole in our neighbouring parish
We would also like to engage with the heritage activity in our neighbouring villages of Burghwallis, Campsall, Woodlands and Adwick.
The churchyard is well kept and still in active use for burials and internment of ashes
The Commonwealth Graves War Commission records the grave of
“Commander SANDFORD GRANT RADCLIFFE NEVILE Royal Navy Tuesday, January 15, 1918 age 42
SKELBROOKE (ST. MICHAEL) CHURCHYARD in North part near East path