The church was built in 1838 in the village of Bradshaw, in a semi-rural setting, the parish boundaries extending over open fields and moorland.
As of 2nd December 2019, the parish of Bradshaw has expanded to take in the area of Holmfield, and form the new Parish of Bradshaw and Holmfield, following the closure there of our sister church St Andrew's. St John's is the Parish Church for this new Parish. We are part of the North Halifax Churches Together group of churches.
Our style of worship is relaxed, and broadly central in Churchmanship. The liturgy follows Common Worship and clergy, and servers robe.
We have very active and strong uniformed organisations comprising: Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorers, Rainbows and Brownies which meet in our adjoining Parish Centre. The latter is also the venue for other groups that mostly meet weekly: Evergreens (monthly), Friendship Group (monthly), Kung Fu, Parent and Toddlers and lots of ad-hoc Parish events.