St Paul’s was built in 1848. Before this date Shepley was part of the parish of Kirkburton. It was designed by the architect William Wallen and is a simple Victorian village church. It stands in the centre of the village and is built of local with a bell cote containing two bells.
The chancel was added in 1868 and extended into the nave in 1890. The sanctuary was re-ordered in 1996 when the altar was moved away from the east wall and most of the choir pews were removed.
In 2008 the rear of the church was reordered by adding a new entrance and toilet facilities and removing the gallery to create a social area separated from the worship area by a glass screen.
There is a notable stained glass east window with scenes from the life of St Paul and other stained glass windows depicting biblical scenes and Faith, Hope and Charity. The ‘Hope’ window includes a copy of Holman Hunt’s ‘Light of the World’.
The church and churchyard are in a Conservation Area in the centre of the Village. The churchyard has graves dating back to the opening of the church in 1848 and provides a green space for enjoyment and reflection.