Welcome to Holy Trinity, Micklegate
Our parish is located on York's historic Micklegate, the ancient western entrance to the city. Holy Trinity Micklegate is the only monastic building in York to survive as a regular place of worship. A church has stood on this site for more than 900 years. In 1089 the Benedictines from Marmoutier in Normandy, known in York as the 'Alien Benedictines', created a priory here, on the site of a pre-Conquest church, which itself was possibly the successor of Alcuin of York's great Saxon church, the Alma Sophia. The priory was ended by the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536, after which the building became a parish church. York’s famous medieval Mystery Plays began each year outside the gateway to Holy Trinity and for generations the script for the plays was kept here.
Worship at Holy Trinity
Central to our worship is the Eucharist on Sunday mornings at 11am.
Visiting Holy Trinity
We try to keep the church open every day from 10am to 3pm.