St Mary's is a Grade 1 listed building. The foundation of the church was approximately 1120-1122. The church was built in Wharram on the Roman route (hence the suffix 'le Street') from Malton towards Beverley. The north aisle is of the C14th. There is some debate regarding the date of the tower, although most believe it to be Saxon. St Mary's was restored by JB and W Atkinson between 1862 - 1864. there are leaflets available with comprehensive information about the history of the church. In 2010, the small congregation managed to raise the funds to re-roof the church and do essential maintenance works. The church is open every day and we welcome new faces very warmly.