A lovely village church set just off the main A166 road in the centre of the village.
There has been a church on this site since the XIV century. Much of the present building dates from a major renovation and extension in 1885-6 but remnants of the XV century and earlier can still be seen - including the font.
Some of the stained glass is signed by (Curtis) Ward & Hughes of London from the period 1885 - 1910.
The organ, by Abbott and Smith (Leeds), was installed in 1913. Following a fundraising project ("Pipe Up !") the organ was restored by Principal Pipe Organs of York and returned to the church in December 2016. It was re-dedicated by the Rector of Harton Benefice, Revd Chris Wingfield, during the Benefice service on Sunday 15 January 2017. (see the picture gallery for pictures and more information).
The bells, three in number, are by John Warner of London in 1889.
The first recorded incumbent was John de Howgate in 1351. The parish registers date from 1689. Please contact one of the Churchwardens for information about historic burials.
The church retains a stillness within that is conducive to prayer and meditation.
Refreshments are usually served after services in the church and visitors are always welcome.
The church is usually open during the day; however, if locked a key is readily available from either of the churchwardens so please do not be discouraged from visiting.Please use the car park opposite the Village Hall - 60yds beyond the church towards Stamford Bridge. (The Village Hall is not managed by St Mary's PCC. To book the Hall, contact [email protected] / 01759 371148)
St Mary's Gate Helmsley is one of 10 churches (in 8 parishes) that make up the Benefice of Harton. Click on the links to the other churches in the Benefice or on the link to the "Harton Benefice website" for information about services and events across the Benefice and to access "The Circular" printed quarterly.
Revd. Chris Wingfield is Rector to the Harton Benefice. Information about the rest of the Ministry Team can be found on the Benefice website and in The Circular.
Harton Benefice website: www.sandhuttongroup.org.uk (click on the link on the right of this page)