ALL SERVICES CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
The village of Laxton was part of the Bishop of Durham’s Howden lands and it appears not have had its own church or chapel until 1400s when Laxton chapel was built. This is situated opposite the present church as it finally fell into disrepair and disuse in the middle of the 18th century. It can be visited by appointment only.
The present church, dedicated to St Peter, was built in 1875-6 and contains a good electronic organ and some attractive stained glass, in memory of local families. Recently we have had a new free-standing nave altar made and dedicated from money given in memory of Herbert Martin, a local blacksmith. The photos show the ironwork used within the altar to reflect his craftsmanship.
As with any church, St Peter’s demonstrates that it is the people who are the church, the Body of Christ. Although we are a small congregation, our Sunday worship is always welcoming, warm and friendly. We are keen to continue to build on the links we have with the local community, through the agricultural seasons and festivals, and through the lively Rocky club – a children’s club that meets in the church every fortnight.