"The parish of Worcester: St Michael is committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and adults. We follow the House of Bishops guidance and policies and have our own Parish Safeguarding Officer(s), PSOs. The Diocese of Worcester’s safeguarding pages contain vital links and information including contacts for the Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor (DSA) who advise our PSOs. If you are concerned that a child or adult has been harmed or may be at risk of harm please contact the DSA. If you have immediate concerns about the safety of someone, please contact the police and your local authority Children or Adults Services."
The nominated Parish Safeguarding Representative is: Liz Edwards - [email protected]
Incumbent contact details: The Reverend Phil Bradford
The following policy was agreed on the date below at a Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held by correspondence.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
· Promoting a safer environment and culture.
· Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
· Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
· Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
· Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
· Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
· Create a safe and caring place for all.
· Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
· Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
· Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
· Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
· Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
· Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser(DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
· Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
· Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
· Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
· Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Safeguarding and Online Activities:
1) Where the Parish is involved with Online Activities which have a public circulation, (including, but not limited to live streaming, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, YouTube videos and social media, such as Facebook), the person(s) responsible shall ensure that all material is editorially appropriate for viewing by children and/or vulnerable adults.
2) Church officers responsible for online activities should always be aware that such material may be viewed by persons under 18 without adult supervision.
3)Where such media uses pictures of children and/or vulnerable adults, appropriate permissions should be obtained prior to publication.
4) Measures will be put in place to ensure such material is protected from risks involved with Cyber Security.
5) Ensure invitations to online services/meetings (on Microsoft Teams, Zoom or any other relevant platform) are always sent out from a well-known church person. Invitations should be sent bcc to avoid disclosing personal email addresses. All Zoom meetings/services need to be set up to allow attendees to wait in the waiting room until let in after being recognised.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this parish.
This PCC appoints Liz Edwards as the Parish Safeguarding Officer
Incumbent: Revd Phil Bradford
Churchwardens: Mike Dowling and Val Mason
Date: 14th April 2021
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU CAN CONTACT CHILDLINE FREE ON 0800 1111 AT ANYTIME.