Dates through history relating to St Lawrence Church
1301 The first incumbent is recorded.
1460 John Jenney and Margaret (his 2nd wife) buried.
1553 Three bells are recorded as hanging in the Tower.
1566 Earliest year in the Church registers.
1622 The bell was made in Norwich (marked W.J.B. anno domini 1622).
1674 Jonas Grimsby and his family come to live at Knodishall Hall.
1678 Mary (their daughter) dies aged 14) and is buried under the Tower.
1704 The Jenney family sells the Manor to John Fuller (we believe at this time the Jenneys had emigrated to America).
1741 Last entry of the Jenney family name in the Church registers.
1806 Only one bell is recorded as existing.
1837 The Coat of Arms made by the first foundry in Essex (Joseph Wallis).
1838 Rev George Whitaker builds the vestry.
1845 The Nave roof was repaired.
1878 The Chancel roof was renewed.
1894 The Nave roof was re-tiled.
1897 The back door to the vestry is built by Rev Daubeny.
1902 Oak pews replaced old high backed ones.
1907 The Organ chamber was built (for £60).
1926 The Tower (52 ft high and 52 ft around the top) was renovated.
1935 The East window was installed.
1939 The Chancel roof was re-tiled.
1946 The painting of "Jacob and Rachel at the Well" was given to the church by Mr Burningham, a local farmer.
1983 The painting was sold for £110,000 after a special Consistory Court was held.